A jury based trial in Bridgeport, Connecticut has concluded with a verdict in favor of the plaintiffs who have been awarded $2.5 million, reports ctlawtribune.com. The plaintiffs in the case are the estate of decedent Wesley Wirth. The defendants in the case are, namely, Connecticut Heart and Vascular Center, Kevin Lenhart and Charles Landau.

Broadly, the allegations in the lawsuit are against the hospital and the two doctors respectively. The plaintiffs alleged that the health care professionals failed to correctly diagnose a rather evident heart condition and subsequently caused the evitable death of Wesley Wirth. This is a form of hospital neglect in that right decisions were not made.

The 61 year old decedent made a living by working as a heating and air conditioning expert in the Stratford, a little town in Connecticut. He consulted doctors at Connecticut Heart and Vascular Centre back on May 12th, 2009. He complained about pain in the chest area which also exhibited in his left shoulder at times (a telltale sign of heart complications), nausea and dizziness, and informed the doctor that these were the major symptoms he experienced.

Why did the patient sign himself out?

According to the lawsuit drafted by the Wesley family’s medical malpractice attorney, the doctors at Connecticut Heart and Vascular Center ordered a chest x-ray and electrocardiogram. Both reports turned out normal. Wirth therefore signed himself out of the medical facility. However, the doctors while suggesting that he stayed on did not really attempt to stop him.

Medical malpractice and the legal proceedings in a work injury concept with a stethoscope and a judge gavel or mallet as a symbol of financial insurance law  issues in health care and medicine on white.

Doctors send ticking time bomb home

The very next day Wirth made his way back to Connecticut Heart and Vascular Center as the pain did not subside. They suggested yet another cardiogram. This time around, he was signed in as an in-patient at the facility and he continued to suffer from chest pain during this time. Defendant Kevin Lenhart evaluated him and prescribed a nuclear stress test to rule out the possibility of Ischemia out of the equation.

His electrocardiograms this time showcased evident abnormalities, which medical experts testified (during trial) were clear symptoms of imminent heart event. However, shockingly, doctors at the Heart specialty hospital blamed the chest pain and other symptoms Wirth exhibited on gastrointestinal complications like acid reflux and he was subsequently discharged from the facility and allowed to go home.

Wesley Wirth died an avoidable death

Tragically, on the 30th of March in 2009, Wirth was struck by a severe chest pain in the middle of the night and shortly after, he lost consciousness and became unresponsive. Hospital neglect or not, a person died. He was rushed to Griffin Hospital but passed away only a few moments after his arrival. An autopsy revealed that he had succumbed to a heart attack.

The medical malpractice attorneys who could have been found on the sterling legal website USAttorneys.com representing the plaintiffs in the case contended that had the doctors at Connecticut Heart and Vascular Center properly diagnosed the heart condition, Wirth’s death could have been averted. The attorneys argued that they could and should have prescribed a catheterization test and either placed a stent in his heart or ordered that he immediately undergo a bypass surgery accordingly.